[LAU] rt kernel in debian/squeeze

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jan 9 15:46:11 UTC 2011

On 01/08/2011 08:06 PM, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On 01/08/2011 03:55 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>
>> It really depends on your system (CPU, mainboard, BIOS settings) but
>> the ondemand gov works/ed fine on the Indamixx-1 release (Atom CPU,
>
> I kinda hoped we didn't have to do this...
>
> The exact same computer running ubuntu 10.04 with rt kernel (from ubuntu
> repos) works fine with ondemand, although I can push it harder when set
> to performance.

Probably you can push it harder because if it is a multi-core system
(and you're using jack2 or tschack): The system-load may still be too
low for a ondemand CPU governor to react while DSP load is already at
the limit, causing x-runs.

> This kernel gives xruns and audible glitches with
> ondemand even at light loads.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll look into differences of the .config
between pengutronix and ubuntu-10.4's linux-rt next week.
But it could be related to additionally applied patches as well, let's see.

> And the reason why I wrote "not really a problem" (besides the hope of
> not having to go here) is that I am perfectly aware of the potential
> problems with ondemand govenor.

I'm glad you went and came here :) Sometimes small bits of information
in slightly OT conversations reveil interesting details.

Cheers!
robin

--
Robin Gareus
web: http://gareus.org/                mail: robin at gareus.org
lab: http://citu.fr/                   chat: xmpp:rgareus at ik.nu

Public Key at http://pgp.mit.edu/  http://gareus.org/public.asc
Fingerprint : 7107 840B 4DC9 C948 076D 6359 7955 24F1 4F95 2B42