[LAU] creating surround DVDs on linux?

jurgen noise.now at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:23:34 UTC 2011

Jörn,

a standard DVD can only play back PCM stereo or AC-3 multitrack audio.

In order to burn multitrack uncompressed audio you need to use the DVD-A format. From what I see, most DVD players do not recognize that format, only "hi end" devices like the upper price Pioneers.

To burn DVD-As there's a VERY affordable application by Minnetonka 'diskwelder bronze', 35 USD if I remember. It works like a snap and all DVD-A compatible players recognize it (that I've tried). But that is Win only software, you bet.

Good luck,
Jürgen