[LAU] creating surround DVDs on linux?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sat Jan 15 00:51:42 UTC 2011

On 01/13/2011 02:14 PM, allcoms wrote:
> Us nixers have:
>
> http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/
> 2011/1/13 jurgen <noise.now at gmail.com <mailto:noise.now at gmail.com>>
>
>     Jörn,
>
>     a standard DVD can only play back PCM stereo or AC-3 multitrack audio.
>
>     In order to burn multitrack uncompressed audio you need to use the
>     DVD-A format. From what I see, most DVD players do not recognize
>     that format, only "hi end" devices like the upper price Pioneers.

i've had some rather traumatic experiences with dvd-audio that have led
me to believe that it doesn't really work in practice. the way i see it,
i've got a significantly higher probability that $RANDOM_USER will be
able to play a 5.1 audio file correctly than to have a dvd-audio capable
player that will not fsck up the navigation, play the tracks in the
right order and not do other unspeakable things (such as producing dirac
pulses every 3 minutes - yeah i've seen it, and it was a hi-end product,
and no, we used the analog outs).