[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sun Jan 16 05:23:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 04:28:48PM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 1/14/11, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>
> > Is that necessarily bad? Maybe there is a dearth of quality native
> > plugins, but I'm fine with the plugins that are available currently. And
> > I'm happy I don't have to make up my mind which plugins to choose from
> > the thousands of plugins available if I would use a proprietary OS.
>
> It's easy to neglect alternatives when you never had many :) We do
> have a good selection of native effects, but we are lacking in well
> sounding instruments immensively. But then we are back to "what kind
> of music do you do" discussion.
>
> The issue goes a little further than quantity/quality relationship.
> Some things are plain missing. Luckily gaps are being slowly closed.
> E.g. maybe in 2011 we will finally have an LV2 drum sampler (over to
> gabaug? :))
>
> > Don't forget native Linux VST's, their number is steadily growing also.
> > I think I have about 60 to 70 of those sitting on my harddrive.
> > Unfortunately there are very few hosts.
>
> The last sentence quite nails it :)

I can't stand the whole idea of closed-source VSTs and plugins and synths.

Yeah, I'm one of THOSE guys.

Seriously, I'm using linux becuase of the freedom, the open source, and the political aspect of it. That's why I run it. I wouldn't bother with it otherwise.

If I wanted to use proprietary, closed-source software, why would I even try to get it running on Linux at all?

Taking this a bit father: if convenience, "user experience", time, availability, commercial support, etc were REALLY important, why wouldn't I just get a MacBook Pro like everyone else has, and run that?

-ken