[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 12:06:45 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> also.
> >>
> >> The last sentence quite nails it :)
> >
> > I can't stand the whole idea of closed-source VSTs and plugins and
> synths.
>
> I do genuinely believe that Autostatic was referring to open sourced VSTs.
>
> > Yeah, I'm one of THOSE guys.
> >
> > Seriously, I'm using linux becuase of the freedom, the open source, and
> the
> > political aspect of it. That's why I run it. I wouldn't bother with it
> > otherwise.
>
> I can't possibly imagine political aspect of writing music. Oh wait,
> Peter Gabriel did it with "Biko". Right :)

Hehe!

Why does it always, whatever we're discussing, come back to PG/ Genesis on
this list? Very strange! I don't mind coz I'm a huge prog fan and my band
have a running gag about Genesis (and the Jesuit Order, who are every bit as
good for a gag).

I suppose that the whole PG/Genesis versus the Linux audio world came to a
head when PG flew Paul out to have him demonstrate Ardour to him. What song
was in your head on the flight over las- do you remember? Watcher of the
Skies? I can only presume it wasn't quite what Pete was after at the time
otherwise we'd have some marketing machine going right there.

Maybe we should have a separate LAU/LAD for those who prefer Collins
Genesis? ;)