[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Jan 16 19:21:17 UTC 2011

On 01/16/2011 06:30 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 1/16/11, Ken Restivo wrote:
>>
>> I can't stand the whole idea of closed-source VSTs and plugins and synths.
>> Yeah, I'm one of THOSE guys.
>>
>> If I wanted to use proprietary, closed-source software, why would I even try
>> to get it running on Linux at all?
>>
>> Taking this a bit father: if convenience, "user experience", time,
>> availability, commercial support, etc were REALLY important, why wouldn't I
>> just get a MacBook Pro like everyone else has, and run that?
>
> A tad too far, maybe? :)

well, i wouldn't read ken's comment as fundamentalist open source
zealotry, but rather as "live and let live" - people who need a wider
selection of plugins and instruments and are willing to pay can always
use what's on the market. but why should open source users bother?

the open source community doesn't have to cater to all needs.

particularly since, in my book, the commercial plugin world is riddled
with dysfunctional chrome and marketing bs - actual innovations are
quite rare. what you can get is ok if you are using plugins as a source
of inspiration, tweaking a knob here and there to get interesting, new
results. if, on the other hand, you know perfectly well what you need
for your mix, then some magic little plugin with dials labelled "depth",
"crunch" or whatever won't help.

you can't sell bs as open source, because everybody can clearly see what
a plugin does, and if it's an hf shelf with some gentle harmonic
distortion, then people want the gui to say so, and not read "vintage
warmth".