[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Jan 16 21:42:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 04:24:07PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 09:39:15PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> >
> >> i guess my point is this: being a gearhead doesn't make you a good
> >> musician, composer, arranger or mixing engineer. most of the commercial
> >> audio world is targetted at gearheads. it has to be, because audio
> >> technology has been "good enough" now for a few years, so what can we do
> >> to sell new stuff? invent bs.
> >
> > An accurate summary. This started in the 'consumer' (hifi) world some
> > 25 years ago, and today it has reached the 'pro' segment of the market
> > as well.
>
> well, yes and no.
>
> there have been quite a lot of developments in the last 10 years that
> represent phenomenal improvements in workflow for people who are paid
> to create music on demand. their impact on aesthetics is less clear,

it's very clear if you ask me

> and probably negative,

yes

> but if you're someone who writes soundtracks for ads, tv shows or
> films, the tools available now totally outshine what was available
> 10-15 years ago. and that part is not BS.

True, but these are tools targeted at one particular type of output,
whatever marketing demands at any time. People are already getting
tired of overcompressed audio, re-aligned drums, and the endless
repetition of the same cheap effects. Much of this will be obsolete
sooner than you'd expect.

Ciao,

--
FA