[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Jan 17 14:38:48 UTC 2011

On 01/17/2011 12:40 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 01/17/2011 12:25 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>> IIRC, Julien and some other folks were involved in writing an
>>> alternative to Jamin, called NAMA, and it runs using ecasound and
>>> Perl. ISTR also that Fons offered them some advice on how to do the
>>> xover filter correctly, and they accepted it and made use of it.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to trying it out for the next Better Than Lahar
>>> album. The mastering was the weak link in the first album, and I don't
>>> wish to repeat the same mistake.
>>>
>>> As for patching JAMIN, the offending code appears to be in process.c,
>>> around line #452 or so, in the process_signal() jack callback
>>> function. But I don't understand what that code is doing well enough
>>> to actually produce a patch, and I'm not going to use JAMIN anymore
>>> anyway.
>>>
>> What will you use instead?
>
> He mentions NAMA. You could also try setting up a mastering chain with
> the help of plugins in your DAW. Only thing that lacks then is a
> spectrum analyser, or is there a plug-in that can do this?

jamin's spectrum analyser is ok'ish. there's also japa, which i
personally prefer.

don't forget the most important aspect of mastering: a second pair of
ears, in a very good listening room.
take that out of the equation, and all that's left of mastering is some
parametric eq and (if you must) multiband compression. lv2fil and the
new calf multiband compressor might suit your needs. the latter
especially is way more powerful than jamin, but watch it closely - i
wouldn't want to vouch for it to do the right thing in all settings, and
some controllers i plainly don't understand.