[LAU] [LAA] Foo YC-20 1.2.0 released

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri Jan 21 13:36:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM, rosea.grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 02:09 PM, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM, rosea.grammostola
>> <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Sampo!
>>>
>>> With the discussion about plugins in mind, how did you manage to build
>>> JACK
>>> clients for Linux, Windows and OSX and a LV2 plugin?
>>
>> Sorry, I haven't really followed that discussion. Writing a plugin
>> isn't that difficult. The real work for this release has been the OS X
>> packaging (done by Robin) and the badly behaving mingw compiler.
>
> Hmm others seems to have more difficulties making such a crossplatform
> plugin / Jack client.

The problems with crossplatform Jack is that there's little
infrastructure in Windows and OS X for Jack. The current release for
Windows has a version of qjackctl which makes setting up jack very
difficult. And I haven't been able to figure out how to select the
midi driver...

That goes for the OS X version as well: jackpilot gui doesn't let the
user choose the coremidi (the only sane midi driver) for jack. This
means that It's pretty easy to get the crossplatform client going, but
you can't really play it.

This is the reason I started working on the VSTi.

> Are there tools in FAUST which makes it easy to make it crossplatform?

Yes, but I don't use them at all. Faust has a way to do rapid
crossplatform prototyping, but they don't really help you when you
want to have a proper application around the DSP code it has
generated.

> About Foo YC-20 (1.1), the sound was good, except when you hit the keys
> first, then there is some kind of strange extra sound. This isn't there when
> you already making sound, with your left hand for example. So solo tones, eg
> playing one tone without hitting others , didn't sound very good to me. It
> might be one of the flaws of the yc-20 though ;)

This extra sound you're referring to is probably the percussion
feature. It is activated only when the first key is struck down. Note
that because the keys of the organ are just contact switches turning
on and off, there's a click audible when you press down a key. This
sound is audible for example on the 2nd manual with brightness fully
on. That is part of the sound of the organ.

> Also the 64bit version of the Debian package worked fine, but Jack couldn't
> handle the 32bit version which sucked cpu. Could be the distro, the debian
> package though... But maybe others have the same issue (yc-20 1.1.0)

If I recall correctly, the 32 bit version (if you didn't download a
specific i686 version) is not using SSE. Without SSE, the processing
is just way too much for most computers.

 Sampo