[LAU] Midi Sample Dump transmission

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sat Jan 22 20:21:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, David Santamauro wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:02:17 -0600 (CST)
> Brent Busby <brent at keycorner.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm aware that Audacity and probably any other program that has
>> access to libsndfile functions can read and save Midi Sample Dump
>> file format, but is there a program for Linux that can actually
>> transmit them over Midi?  Can you do it with the amidi command?
>>

> man amidi
>
> that should be all you need
>
> [snip]
>
> amidi -p hw:0 -s my_settings.syx
>
> will send the MIDI commands in my_settings.syx to port hw:0.
>
> amidi -S 'F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7'
>
> sends an XG Reset to the default port.
>
> amidi -p hw:1,2 -S F0411042110C000000000074F7 -r dump.syx -t 1
>
> sends a "Parameter Dump Request" to a GS device, saves the received
> parameter data to the file dump.syx, and stops after the device has
> finished sending data (when no data has been received for one second).

Yes, I read all that...but should I take this to mean that a Midi sample
dump has no headers, no terminating bytes, no anything that isn't in the
file?  It's like a sysex dump?  I've gotten the impression from some
things I've read that Midi Sample Dump involves the receiving device
sending back acknowledgement bytes during the transfer -- maybe *too*
much...some people have said it's chatty enough to slow the transfer
down to an irritating degree.  If this is all true, you probably can't
just dump a Midi Sample Dump at a device and have it receive like a
sysex dump.  Or can you?

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky