[LAU] Midi Sample Dump transmission

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Sat Jan 22 21:25:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Brent Busby wrote:
>>
>>  ... but should I take this to mean that a Midi sample dump has no headers,
>>  no terminating bytes, no anything that isn't in the file?  It's like a
>>  sysex dump?  I've gotten the impression from some things I've read that
>>  Midi Sample Dump involves the receiving device sending back
>>  acknowledgement bytes during the transfer -- maybe *too* much...some
>>  people have said it's chatty enough to slow the transfer down to an
>>  irritating degree.  If this is all true, you probably can't just dump a
>>  Midi Sample Dump at a device and have it receive like a sysex dump.  Or
>>  can you?
>>

> http://www.omega-art.com/midi/msds.html

Ok, this means it should at least be possible to send raw with some
header bytes at the front, but I don't think it will work on my device
(Yamaha SY99).  The SY99 has a reputation for choking on the data under
the best of circumstances, so it would probably be even worse without
the ACK's being sent back.  (Though this does look like the type of
thing you could write in Perl if you wanted to...hmm.)  Anyway, thanks
for the info.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky