[LAU] OSC - where to start?

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Thu Jan 27 07:13:02 UTC 2011

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM, James Morris<jwm.art.net at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Why is OSC support not more widespread?
> because there are almost no standards for OSC. this is not a protocol
> like MIDI that defines semantics. there is no standard way, for
> example, to tell an "OSC supporting app" to "start playing". an OSC
> sender has to know a lot about the OSC receiver. this severely limits
> OSC's usefulness (but does not make it zero by any means).
I wonder if it could make  sense/be interesting for this community to
put forward some effort in this direction. That is, discussing and then
trying to agree on a standard (broad meaning intended) for
audio/music-aware applications, hardware etc. that use OSC... could be
'LADOSC' :)

I'm no OSC expert myself, and am grateful to the James for opening the
discussion which has already given me various interesting pointers and
insights.
I've always been looking at OSC as better alternative to MIDI, but
(partly due to usual laziness of course) have also looked at the
familiarity and 'cosiness' of the good ol' MIDI standard.

A first step might be to try 'porting' all standard MIDI stuff to some
agreed OSC scheme, exploiting the latter's functionality. For e.g. one
apparently trivial, but IMHO iportant aspect, is the fact that precision
isn't limited to 127 like in MIDI.

Another aspect is: apart from real-time use, how is osc 'recored'? Would
a simple timestamped list of OSC messages do? What about time
resolution? Is this (persistence) aspect relevant? Does it make sense to
think of OSC-files similar a la MIDIfiles?

Just some thoughts/ideas

Lorenzo.