[LAU] State of the art GUI

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:09:44 UTC 2011

I'm surprised Alex included RG in that list as to be honest, powerful and
fully-featured program as it is, I think RG is really let down by its clunky
(mainly too big) GUI and I was hoping for a complete overhaul when it got
ported to QT4 but sadly that didn't happen. Attractive GUIs are definitely
great but are always secondary to functionality and stability, Besides, most
people on this list are quite happy to work with apps that have NO gui ie
ecasound or minimal, archaic GUIs ala PD.

For me, the biggest turn off in a GUI is if its too big- ZASFX/Yoshimi, RG
and to a lesser extent Ardour all suffer from GUI's that are a nightmare for
smaller displays such as netbooks and older/budget laptops. I do like the
look of Ardour but I still believe it needs to go on a bit of a diet. There
are still many perfectly good laptops (Core 2 Duos etc) that can't do any
better than 1280x800 but I'd encourage devs to try and get their apps to fit
nicely onto 1024x768 to be even more inclusive.