[LAU] State of the art GUI

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 14:46:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 4:41 AM, Nick Copeland
> <nickycopeland at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On the subject of android phones, only a small selection of them and
> other
> > smartphones/tablets actually have keyboards. Surely item #7 for having
> > keyboard accelerators for every function is a bit of a misnomer if you
> are
> > talking about State of the Art? This is definitely not a must have.
>
> alexandre's second list concerned usability, and although its clear
> that some platforms do not have or need good keyboard driven
> approaches, people are not going to be mixing multitrack audio on
> android phones for a while yet. the keyboard is still an incredibly,
> incredibly efficient man/machine interface, when it exists.
>
> i believe that it is/was the lack of such an approach that played an
> important role in alex & chris deciding to start OOM, for example,
> because they are both aware of the incredible speedup it provides for
> professional (read "deeply familiar") users compared to point (with
> mouse or finger(s) and click methods.

+1

Touch interfaces, voice (and eventually mind) control - pah! You will have
to prise the keyboard and terminal from my cold, dead hands! :D I certainly
prefer GUIs that let the user decide if they want to use it primarily or
entirely with keyboard or mouse instead of trying to enforce one way or
requiring a combo of the two.

Somebody (David?) brought up GUIs that resize well to different display
sizes- now that certainly is a worthwhile, non-superficial feature of a
modern GUI.