[LAU] State of the art GUI

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Jan 30 21:48:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/29/11, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> alexandre's second list concerned usability, and although its clear
>> that some platforms do not have or need good keyboard driven
>> approaches, people are not going to be mixing multitrack audio on
>> android phones for a while yet.
>
> Oh, but I wasn't referring to phones :) The kind of devices I was
> referring to can be spotted here:
>
> http://cs5.org/?p=232

i've seen these devices around for a while. i can imagine mixing on
such a device, but i'm also unconvinced that its *necessarily* better
for such work than using a keyboard. i also have a lot of criticism of
the way multitouch surfaces have been used for music "composition" to
date, most of which don't apply to the idea of using them to control
software like the stuff currently used by most people. finally, i
think that doing visual art with multitouch is qualititatively
different from using multitouch in conjunction with our other senses.