[LAU] wicked drum fills with Hydrogen

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Jul 1 02:03:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 09:53:51AM +0200, Cedric Roux wrote:
> ----- "Ken Restivo" <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> > Depends on what you mean by "wicked, but I did this in Hydrogen,
> > played it for a drummer, and he laughed, and said, "That's ridiculous!
> > No human drummer would ever play that!"
> >
> > http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/73/0/tongue-funk-0.3.1.ogg
>
> Why? what is the reason? technically impossible (like playing five notes at
> the same time)? too fast? Some metal/punk drummers throw more content per
> unit of time. In the "extreme" genres it's quite common.

I think, unmusical, and inelegant, to his ears. And eyes, and body, if he physically experienced the sensation of trying to play it while listening to it.

If you try to move your arms in the pattern that would be required to play it, you'd look like you were having an epileptic fit. So, he didn't really like it, but sure thought it was funny.

That peice is from 2007, and I'm not making much new stuff at all, and if I did, it would be in a somehwat radically different direction anyway. But it was the most outrageous drum fill I could dig up from any of my old stuff.

-ken