[LAU] Some jazz for a change :-)

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Jul 1 10:46:01 UTC 2011

On 07/01/2011 02:36 AM, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello again!
>   Here is a very different version of the 3-part invention in G-minor.
> Probably will every jazzophile criticise, that there's no evident
> composition principle in there, no reason behind the used chords, no
> scale... Still it sounds jazzy enough for me and is better, than my
> feable attempts at chord substitution. :-)
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/a_nama_night.ogg
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/a_nama_night.mp3

Hi Julien,

Very nice, I like these improvised ramblings. keep going!

IMHO the piano sound is too clean or classical for this style.
As you say: it's very tonal and not too sophisticated. This combinations
of sound and musical style causes a bit of conflict.

I picture a smoke filled dark bar... Next time you venture down this
road: I'd add some mumbling, a bit more room, and make a virtue out of
necessity: let the tune stumble over itself from time to time (to make
up for lack of jazzy chords and chromiatic approaches in the melody)
akin to Tom Waits' "The Piano Has Been Drinking" from the Album "Small
Change" and it'd be perfect late night music for my taste!

I'd hire you to play and improvise like this every night - and you can
close with some Bach, too :)

Cheers!
robin