[LAU] LV2 synths for Ardour 3?

Emanuel Rumpf xbran at web.de
Sat Jul 2 19:47:41 UTC 2011

2011/7/2 rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>:

> I wonder if it's true that it is hard to write a LV2 plugin

I don't think so.
But there is still missing the single, all inclusive package.

By introducing liblilv and libsuil, and the rest of his work,
David Robillard already did a great job reducing dependencies.

Both, VST and LV2, have midi+audio IN and OUT.
The problem in the conversion process likely is the GUI,
but for applications as Pianotec, which use a cross-platform-GUI-library (juced)
that should not be difficult to handle.

> On the other hand, it questionable whether this is the best strategy to
> make Linux as good as it can be as platform for proaudio.

That's not questionable: Linux has to be as good as possible OOTB
for media and audio to be successful, because that is a very large and important
sector, for users (pro and non-pro) (TV,DVD,games,audio,production,etc..)

IMO, the pro- and non-pro nonsense was introduced, in order to sell
trash to the masses (at a very low price, though).
For software, especially open source, we don't need that distinction,
that's my conviction at least.
Many so called "pro-user" enjoy simple and accessible interfaces,
while a "non-pro" can became "pro" quickly and any time, if he/she progresses,
requiring dedicated features then, if time passes.

There is no simple solution, but I'm convinced that good GUI
can both: offer diversity and hide complexity.

> I am very happy having Pianoteq for Linux

Me too, even though it's closed src.

> .. it would we very hard to come up with something
> like Pianoteq as a community and this is true for other stuff.

I believe, that everything is possible with open source.
But the community has to be large (maybe larger)
and has to actively (and financially) support the projects of their interest.
My current impression: The LAU and LAD community is *very* active,
but still very small (compared to closed audio world).

>> I think having good native VST
>> support in common hosts is going to help.

IMO no.   We need OOTB, reliable LV2.

> But on the other hand, I enjoy my Pianoteq version *very* much ...

Don't worry.
Applications serious with Linux support *will* support LV2.
That's what their customers use, that's what they want.

--
E.R.