[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Roberto Suárez Soto talkingxouba at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 07:58:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

    I usually try to record electric guitars with minimal effects (i.e.,
only distortion or a bit of reverb), and later add them in the mixing
process. But, though that may make sense recording-wise to achieve a good
sound, it's not the same with regards to playing. For example: if I want to
know how something sounds with delay, or chorus, or flanger, or whatever, I
like to play with it (using my guitar's preamp effects). It's more inspiring
to do so, if you know what I mean.

    So, what do the real pros (that'd be you ;-)) do? My first thought is to
"prototype" using the preamp's effects, and once I have a good idea of what
I need, record "clean" and apply effects in Ardour. But that sounds like a
lot of work; and before doing it, I'd rather ask if there's some shortcut.

    Thanks in advance.

--
        Roberto Suárez Soto