[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Cedric Roux sed at free.fr
Thu Jul 7 09:17:52 UTC 2011

----- "Arve Barsnes" <arve.barsnes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 July 2011 10:06, Alexandre Prokoudine
> <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2011/7/7 Roberto Suárez Soto:
> >
> >>     So, what do the real pros (that'd be you ;-)) do?
> >
> > They use hardware rigs. I'm quite serious.
> >
> Indeed. Ideally, the computer should not be responsible for any guitar
> effects.

and what do you think all those effect boxes do? how do they work?
by magic? or by electronics?

The only difference is that you can push hard on the box with your
foot while you play live.

So be it for the effects.

For the room/ampli/microphone placement, it might be
another business. The only difference I see is the feedback from
the ampli to the guitar which leads to larsen effect, which you
don't have in the software only world (assuming you don't play the
guitar audio back to the room, or to soft levels). Apart from that
I think you can emulate everything else, at least theoretically.
Is the software ready at this date I don't know...

Pros don't go that route because they learned with some tools and
stick to them. Nothing wrong with that, but not mandatory. Let's
not be fooled.

Roberto, have a look at guitarix. Maybe you'll like it. Don't fear
to experiment. What matters is: do you like the sound coming out
of your setup? can you use your tools in the situations you plan
to (like live performances)? If yes then the tools, whatever they
are, are good. And nothing else matters. Period.