[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Jul 7 10:23:00 UTC 2011

On 07/07/2011 12:17 PM, Cedric Roux wrote:
> But! did you actually try to play the guitar and use a linux-based effects chain?
> I tried guitarix. With 1024 samples of latency I notice some delay. Below I
> don't notice anything. 256 is fine. Go down to 64 and it's psychologically
> similar to no delay at all. There were links about latency issues on the
> lists a few weeks ago. So yeah, latency. But below a given threshold you
> don't feel latency at all.

I'm using rakarrack with my bands every now and then to try out effects.
I'm even thinking about using it live, especially stuff like the Arpie
and Harmonizer effects are very cool to use within a band. With -p128
(my netbook can't go really lower) I barely experience any latency when
I'm standing in front of my full tube half stack.

Best,

Jeremy