[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Jul 7 10:32:07 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Roberto Suárez Soto's message of 2011-07-07 09:58:49 +0200:
> Hi,
>
>     I usually try to record electric guitars with minimal effects (i.e.,
> only distortion or a bit of reverb), and later add them in the mixing
> process. But, though that may make sense recording-wise to achieve a good
> sound, it's not the same with regards to playing. For example: if I want to
> know how something sounds with delay, or chorus, or flanger, or whatever, I
> like to play with it (using my guitar's preamp effects). It's more inspiring
> to do so, if you know what I mean.
>
>     So, what do the real pros (that'd be you ;-)) do? My first thought is to
> "prototype" using the preamp's effects, and once I have a good idea of what
> I need, record "clean" and apply effects in Ardour. But that sounds like a
> lot of work; and before doing it, I'd rather ask if there's some shortcut.
>
>     Thanks in advance.

Also consider the psychological effect. Recording clean allows for
endless tinkering. With effects on the track your possibilities are
limited, re-recording is additional effort, so you likely focus more on
getting good sound first, get that down and do little afterwards.

If you tend to tweak endlessly it's probably better to use hardware :)