[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Jul 7 10:36:29 UTC 2011

On 07/07/2011 11:58 AM, Dale Powell wrote:
> Disagree! Effects pedals and the like have almost no round-trip latency (through soundcard, to the processor, and back for monitoring) and usually a much lower processing time (especially if they are analogue!) both of which are very important points when you are listening to the effected path while playing.

When standing 2 meters from your speaker cabinet the round-trip latency
is already approx. 6ms. When using rakarrack and jackd running with -p64
overall latency is approx. 8ms on my system (tested with jdelay). I'm no
Larry Mullen Jr or the drummer of Coldplay (really enjoyed that Eagleman
article) so the 2ms difference doesn't bother me.

Best,

Jeremy