[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:47:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
> On 07/07/2011 12:57 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
>> there are some techniques that
>> require sustain and distortion or they won't sound right, even if
>> added in post-production.
>
> +1, but my guess is that a guitarist will record those parts by other
> means (so probably through effects + amp). There are a lot of bedroom
> producers around these days, it's almost like the next big thing. The
> guitarists among those don't always have the time or the facilities to
> record guitars the analogue way.

Amp modeling is really big (using Amplitube, Line 6 hardware or even
guitarix), you can get pretty good sounds out of that. Amp modeling
played through a tube amp and miked gives you the best of both
worlds... more control over your tone and the warm tube-y sound.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com