[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:50:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:24 AM, James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:
>> On 07/07/2011 12:57 PM, Brett McCoy wrote:
>>> That's a strange way to do it... there are some techniques that
>>> require sustain and distortion or they won't sound right, even if
>>> added in post-production. But like I said, it's rare to do it this
>>> way.
>>
>> It's common practice in the metal world afaik. One of my bandmates has a
>> little (Reaper) based homestudio and virtually all metal bands he
>> records are re-amped through his collection of tube amps.
>>

> Interesting - but that's still a home studio. Is it common practice in
> pro studios that record heavy metal bands?

I doubt guys like John Petrucci or Michael Romeo or Tony Iommi will
use anything but miked tube (valve) amps. Marshall, Mesa Boogie and
Laneys are still big in the metal world, although some of the hardcore
death metal bands like the harsher solid-state sounds.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com