[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 12:30:20 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 7/7/11, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?
> To: "James Stone" <jamesmstone at gmail.com>
> Cc: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
> Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011, 8:13 AM
> James Stone wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jeremy Jongepier
> <jeremy at autostatic.com>
> wrote:

> some techniques that
> sound right, even if
> it's rare to do it this
> >>>
> >> It's common practice in the metal world afaik. One
> of my bandmates has a
> >> little (Reaper) based homestudio and virtually all
> metal bands he
> >> records are re-amped through his collection of
> tube amps.
> >>

> > Interesting - but that's still a home studio. Is it
> common practice in
> > pro studios that record heavy metal bands?
> >

> A somewhat-related anecdote: In one of his short
> films-about-film-making Robert Rodriguez demonstrates how he
> records some of the music used in his soundtracks. He
> obviously gets a kick out of being able to apply any variety
> of effects - including some impressive distortion - to his
> cleanly recorded guitar. It's all done with PT, of course,
> but it's a good demo of the utility of recording clean.
>
> OTOH, as a player I sometimes need the sound and the soul
> coming out at the same time. Can't wait then. :)

you can do "both at the same time" of course :)
Play your guitar through effects directed to your amp (used as live monitoring in this case), and record the clean sound at the same time (you need a signal splitter, like a half-normalled module on a patch-bay for example).

This way you can still have the live feel while playing and recording, and you can reamp the recorded material later on, fine-tune the effecs a posteriori, etc. You can of course record the distorted sound at the same time you record the clean one by outputting your amp output to your recording gears.

Cheers!
J.