[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

fred f.rech at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 7 17:01:38 UTC 2011

Le 07/07/2011 09:58, Roberto Suárez Soto a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>     I usually try to record electric guitars with minimal effects
> (i.e., only distortion or a bit of reverb), and later add them in the
> mixing process. But, though that may make sense recording-wise to
> achieve a good sound, it's not the same with regards to playing. For
> example: if I want to know how something sounds with delay, or chorus,
> or flanger, or whatever, I like to play with it (using my guitar's
> preamp effects). It's more inspiring to do so, if you know what I mean.
>
>     So, what do the real pros (that'd be you ;-)) do? My first thought
> is to "prototype" using the preamp's effects, and once I have a good
> idea of what I need, record "clean" and apply effects in Ardour. But
> that sounds like a lot of work; and before doing it, I'd rather ask if
> there's some shortcut.
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>         Roberto Suárez Soto
Hi Roberto,

the best way could be to record 2 tracks if you can, one with your
preamp and the other clean. Then, you can re-process the clean one at
mix. Even go to your preamp and record again if don't have more than 2
tracks.

If you can't, at least try to not put much reverb in the record. What I
like to do is to fix the "color" of the amp sound, and record it without
reverb, delay, chorus, etc.. with a mic, (5W amp in one of the bathroom
corners) and add effects later if it's needed. Sometimes add delay or
reverb in the monitoring channel, but don't record it, cause it's always
too much reverb if do this way (can't explain why, but it is).

Of course, like said before, pros don't do that, but they don't have the
same money to put in hardware... A big Eventide to monitoring is often
used in studios, w/record a clean track...

To end, if you want to record clean and just 'imagine' the dirty disto
you will apply later... good luck !!!

HTH,
Fred