[LAU] Applying effects when recording electric guitars: before or after recording?

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:31:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Ricardus Vincente
<wizardofgosz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 10:38 -0500, Charles Henry wrote:
>
>> (would be nice if such
>> hardware/software had capability to analyze the output of the
>> amplifier in use... one can dream... or design it).
>
>  Is this what you're looking for?
>
>  http://kemper-amps.com/
>
>  Rich...

That is... way too cool.  That's more than anything I was thinking of.
 I'd prefer software solutions (open source ofc) over hardware, but if
I'd buy anything--that'd pretty much be it.

However I still have my doubts.  Because that's more than just
analyzing and amplifier and duplicating it--it extends the control
with 50 other knobs and tuners.  Do I trust other engineers?  not all
the time

I would just like it to do some "simple" system identification and
correction stuff, then apply a given linear + non-linear dsp effect
profile for amp.

In other words, start with an arbitrary amp, clean it up, then make it
dirty in just the right way.  If you already have the amp, you can
work ahead through steps 1&2 in the lab, and goto step 3.

But if you're working on step 3, and you don't have a clean channel to
begin with, then you're blind as to what the combined effects are
going to be.