[LAU] searching a dark xylophone sample‏

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sat Jul 9 02:34:04 UTC 2011

On 07/09/2011 05:05 AM, fred wrote:

> Le 08/07/2011 20:59, sim a a écrit :
>> > Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 20:42:04 +0200
>> > From: f.rech at yahoo.fr <mailto:f.rech at yahoo.fr>
>> > CC: Linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>> <mailto:Linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>
>> > Subject: Re: [LAU] searching a dark xylophone sample

>> near future

>> by "this kind"
>> > >
>> > Mean, a good sound that is close to the real intrument
>> > >

>> > Yep ! But if one have a look inside, let say Ardour... do we have to
>> > think there is wonderful trees
>> > in your backyard Paul ? ;-))
>>
>> instead of trying to find new apps to make a dark xylophone sound you
>> could try use existing software.
>> if you found some 'normal' xylophone samples and put them into your
>> sampler of choice. then using a combo of low pass filters,
>> reverb and maybe very slight bitcrushing you could get close to the
>> sound you want.
>>
> Thanks for the tip, that was the original plan but can't find any good
> sound till Pianoteq !
> Could you explain what bitcrushing means please ?

Bitcrushing is an effect that reduces the bit depth of the audio data;
it's hard to describe exactly how this sounds, but it reduces the
quality of the audio in a very digital way. Used lightly it can give an
appealing retro-ish sound, like a sampler from the late 80s/early 90s,
but at extremes (reducing the bit depth to 2 or 3 bits) it creates a
very distorted sound.

A related, but different, effect is sample rate reduction, which can
have also produce effects ranging from subtle to highly distorted. If
you're like me, and grew up playing Amiga games in the early 90s, using
a sample rate reducer set to about 10Khz or so will take you right back
there.

The "Decimator" plugin from Steve Harris's "swh" plugin set can achieve
both of these effects.

Thanks
Leigh