[LAU] searching a dark xylophone sample

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jul 9 13:29:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 14:46 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 12:00 +0000,
> linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:
> > Message: 10
> > Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 20:42:04 +0200
> > From: fred <f.rech at yahoo.fr>
> > Subject: Re: [LAU] searching a dark xylophone sample
> > Cc: Linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org

> > future
> > >>
> > > i find it unlikely, though it depends on precisely what you mean by
> > "this kind"
> > >
> > Mean, a good sound that is close to the real intrument
> > > pianoteq is a fairly sophisticated piece of physical modelling
> > > software. stuff like this doesn't grow on trees.
> > >

> > Yep ! But if one have a look inside, let say Ardour... do we have to
> > think there is wonderful trees
> > in your backyard Paul ? ;-))
>
> The first DX7, the first once in the brown metal case without an update,
> are able to produce those kinds of sounds, later DX7 or first DX7 with
> updates or Hexter might do it too, while I won't use a later DX7 or
> Hexter ;), since I own a 'real' old faithful DX7 and never updated it.
> Dunno, if there's a way to program sounds for Hexter? If so, you should
> try Hexter. Hexter seems to be able to emulate a DX7, but the presets
> are garbage, compared with a real old faithful, non-upgraded DX7.
>
> Regarding to Xylophone and Vibraphone sounds all free sfs and gigs I
> know are less good than FM synthetic sounds.

PS:

If Hexter should really emulate a DX7, take care of the book "Yamaha DX7
Digital Synthesizer" by Yasuhiko Fukuda, Order No. AM 39371, ISBN
0.7119.0653.x, it's worth the hassle. You'll be able to hear that FM
synthesis is able to be better than most free sound samples for some
kinds of percussive sounds.