[LAU] Limiters?

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Sat Jul 9 21:21:10 UTC 2011

Hello Fons!
   I also agree, that overcompression is not what we need. Although, there are
times, where you might want to use it as a tool for sound shaping. Not
everything is classical and live sounding music. Mixture of electro and
acoustic can be in need or just production of one instrument. I admit, that as
a mastering tool, all I use is a limiter at present. Mostly it works out,
sometimes it doesn't.
   And as much clever adivce it might be to turn up the volume, you just
compare. You compare your music to other music, that has an overall very nice
sound. And I 've heard somewhere, that more volume is one thing, that makes
people think it's better sounding. there is music, where I really wouldn't
expect it, but there's other music, where I'm looking for it. May it be good
or bad practise and I'm sure, I'm not alone. Wanting to educate people is one
thing, but doing it in a jiffy is another. :-)
   Still it's always good to see new tools/plugins, that have good algorithms,
interesting approaches, etc. You can never tell, what people might get up to
with your software. But I would always reckon with the good, that people can
do!
   Warm regards
          Julien

--------