[LAU] Issue with Korg Kontrol Editor and Wine

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 10 01:18:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-10 at 00:48 +0100, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> Why not just run wine with super cow powers, or type the Admin
> password when trying to install it?
> $: sudo wine ./korg-driver.exe
>

> -Harry

Harry, see [1].

When I try to install it after switching from XP to 98 I get:

"This application can't run under Windows98/Me."

Regards,

Ralf

[1]
"Administrator Privileges

If your application asks for Administrator rights.. File a bug with
wine. H. Bostick: Sorry to say that sudo won't help you-- the program is
looking for *Windows* Administrator privileges, not Linux root
privileges. The cause of this problem is most likely a combination of 2
factors:

   1. The fact that Wine now defaults to 'emulating' Windows 2K by
default,rather than Windows 98; and
   2. The fact that many Windows programs of a certain type, when they
were updated to work with Win2K from previous compatibility with Win98
(which does not have an Administrator), began to require Administrator
privileges under 2K and higher to install. This usually happens with
utilities like defrag utilities or other scanners/blockers/repair utils
that can be run as a service. This at least makes sense, as in order to
run as a service, the application has to hook into the
M(icrosoft)M(anagement)C(onsole), which is an Administrator-only system
application. But I have, oddly enough, seen programs which would seem to
have no use for administrative privileges require them on installation;
recent versions of PaintShopPro are one example of this. The 'solution'
is to tell the application that it's being installed under Win98
(assuming that the program is willing to install under Win98), rather
than 2K. Since as far as I know, there is no implementation of Windows'
fairly sorry implementation of user privilege separation in Wine
(meaning that, afaik, you cannot become the Windows Administrator under
Wine), the only other option is to go back to the 'good old days' where
it didn't exist (Win98).

Try running winecfg (I assume your version of Wine is later than
20050628, and therefore has the winecfg utility replacing the config
file), and change your "Windows version" settings on the first tab
(Applications) from "Automatically detect required version" to "Win98".
If you don't want to change the setting globally, you could also add a
per-application default for the setup by (on the same tab), choosing
"Add Application", browsing to the setup for the app and selecting the
installation executable. [...] (this will likely affect all setup
executables with the same name, since the name is likely not unique
[...]"

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/General_Wine_Troubleshooting#Administrator_Privileges