[LAU] Limiters?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jul 11 12:43:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:

> but Paul said *fetishization* of a technological accident... while these

precisely. there's nothing wrong with any of the various
"technological accidents" that have shaped audio recording (or even
more broadly, music creation), but we don't have to get stuck on any
particular instances of them unless there's a *really* good reason.
when it comes to recording media, and even mastering techniques, there
just isn't a really good reason. if you want a counter example, i'd
suggest something like the twelve tone octave. its really just one of
any number of possible set of tones within a given doubling of
frequency, but its also more than that. even then though, it seems
unwise to turn it into a fetish ... there are several other scale
systems around the world with their own compelling logic too. focusing
on the characteristics of a specific medium (e.g. vinyl) as the
definition fo what "real" means completely undercuts a full
appreciation of the role of music in our lives, and how it affects us.