[LAU] Limiters?

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Mon Jul 11 19:38:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:07:39PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 09:00:03PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > What stops me is the simple fact that by doing that I'd be
> > contributing to the IMHO completely misguided and even stupid
> > fashion of increasing the apparent loudness of recordings by
> > any means, at the expense of sound quality. Simple fact is this:
> > if it isn't loud enough, turn up the volume. The result will be
> > vastly superior to what you can achieve by squeezing dynamics
> > to death.
> >

> Well, yes, but you also wrote a great GPL auto-tuner, and apparently the prevailing fashion of the industry to auto-tune everything to death has neither slowed down nor accelerated.
>
> Plugins don't kill music, people kill music.
>
> I suppose someone could just as easily apply the bitcrusher LADSPA plugin to destroy any good mix too.
>
> Really, having tools doesn't prevent people from misusing them. Those of us who don't fat-finger the tools, though, would like to have the best ones available on Linux.
>
> So, if you feel like writing or posting a Fons-quality limiter, I think that'd be a great thing, and lots of us would appreciate it.

I agree with this, I will appreciate it, and I guess others will. And I
also very much appreciate if the auto-tune plugin allows to do the wild
things that proprietary auto-tuning plugins do :P

While I don't like the loudness issues with most modern music, sometimes
highly compressed dynamics are expected with certain kind of music.  Not
superior, but just "correct" to the ears of listeners that expect it. I
mean: if someone wants to drink a beer, and it is replaced by a much
better and healthy orange juice, it is quite possible that the person
will be highly dissapointed. There is no point to argue which one is
better, that person does not want something better, he wants a beer.