[LAU] Composite 0.006.1 Released

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Jul 15 12:40:38 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Gabriel Beddingfield's message of 2011-07-15 06:44:32 +0200:
> I am pleased to announce the release of Composite 0.006.1.  This is a
> bug-fix release.
>
> ABOUT
> -----
>
> Composite is (or, will be) a software application/system for
> real-time, in-performance sequencing, sampling, and looping.
> Currently the main feature is the LV2 Sampler that supports Hydrogen
> drumkits.
>
> CHANGES
> -------
>
>    * Fix FTBFS: t_AudioPort test missing link to QtCore
>    * Fix FTBFS Song.cpp: Replace using of QString(int) with
>      QString(const char*)
>    * LV2 Sampler: Initialize QCoreApplication
>    * LV2 Sampler: Fix crash by moving Logger instance to module level
>    * LV2 Sampler: Check LV2 Event types and add extension meta-data
>    * tests: t_AudioPort had a degenerate test
>    * tests: t_SeqScript now passes (was failing as dev reminder)
>    * Replace -lQtCore with ${QT_LIBRARIES} in build system
>
> STATUS
> ------
>
> Composite is a project with a large vision.  Here is the status of the
> different components:
>
>      composite-gui:            Alpha (i.e. "a broken version of Hydrogen")
>      compoiste_sampler (LV2):  production/stable, no GUI
>      libTritium:               Not a public API, yet.
>
> LINKS
> -----
>
>      Composite:   http://gabe.is-a-geek.org/composite/
>      Plugin Docs:
> file:///home/gabriel/code/composite-planning/plugins/sampler/1
>      Tarball:
> http://gabe.is-a-geek.org/composite/releases/composite-0.006.tar.bz2
>      Git:         http://gitorious.org/composite
>                   git://gitorious.org/composite/composite.git
>
> HOW TO USE THE PLUGIN
> ---------------------
>
> To use the plugin, you need the following:
>
>      * A program (host) that loads LV2 plugins.
>
>      * A MIDI controller.
>
>      * An audio output device.  :-)
>
> The following LV2 hosts are known to work with this plugin:
>
>      Ingen          http://drobilla.net/blog/software/ingen/
>      ardour3 (alpha) http://ardour.org/
>      lv2_jack_host  http://drobilla.net/software/slv2/
>      zynjacku       http://home.gna.org/zynjacku/
>
> If you don't have a hardware MIDI controller, I suggest using
> jack-keyboard (http://jack-keyboard.sourceforge.net/).
>
> The first time you run the sampler, it will create a file
> ~/.composite/data/presets/default.xml, which will set up presets on
> Bank 0 for the two default drum kits (GMkit and TR808EmulationKit).
> Sending MIDI PC 0 and PC 1 will switch between the two kits.  See
> composite_sampler(1) for more information on setting up presets.
>
> ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
> ---------------
>
> With this release, I would especially like to thank:
>
>      Alessio Treglia - For dutifully reporting bugs, submitting
>      patches, and *patiently* waiting for me to review them.

> [...]

Hey Gabriel, congratulations for your release. I'll try it soon-ish.
I'm just writing because on thing hit my eye:
~/.composite/data/presets/default.xml

It would probably be nicer if it went into
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/.composite/data/presets/default.xml

XDG_CONFIG_HOME is pretty generally accepted as the location for user
specific config files these days. As usual I can't find the spec
though...

Regards,
Philipp