[LAU] Supercollider error

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 21:54:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:25:37 -0300
Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/7/15 Renato <rennabh at gmail.com>:
> > I second that... I'm by no means an expert of programming languages,
> > but sclang/sc really seems inconsistent and sort of messed up. I
> > mean, it is *good* because you can easily do many non trivial
> > things, but it could be much better organized IMHO
> >

> Some criticisms are related to the possibilities of using different
> syntax for the same job, unlike Python where one job has one syntax.
> etc.. This a valid criticism and was discussed a while ago in the
> sc-dev.  But you can't really changes this kind of stuff without
> breaking old code, what you can do is to define a recommended style to
> people to follow.
> If you really hate sclang you can still use SuperCollider (scsynth)
> from Haskell (hsc3) or Scala (scalacollider), two modern and very
> successful languages.

thanks for the suggestion, I might look into that in the near future...
has someone ever thought of python bindings?

anyways, I don't hate sclang, I just remember that achieving some
things with it has required more frustration than with other
languages - but I also have to say that I've been using it mostly for
managing HID devices and midi, something that it can do but certainly
isn't its main focus. Probably if I'd use it for audio synthesis I'd
have a different idea.

cheers
renato