[LAU] About Algorithms

Moshe Werner moshwe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 23:03:01 UTC 2011

Hi to all,

I'm an audio engineer in my day (and night) work, but definitely not a
programmer.
Yet there is one endless discussion between friends and colleges of mine
that I usually do not participate in due to the lack of knowledge.
The topic is algorithms of software (DAW) mixers. Some people say that they
can hear a sound difference between several kinds of software mixers (e.g.
Cubase, Protools etc.).
I must say that I never made any serious A\B testing but I didn't notice
that there is any difference. Although I do work with Pro-tools and Cubase
(in other studios), most of the time I'm actually using Ardour (and I'm
loving it).

My questions would be:
1. Is it only me that can't here a difference between different DAWs mixing
algorithms?
2. To the developers out there, what is your opinion? Is there a
better/worse algorithm, or is the whole thing another "pay 600$ for this
software - it has great algorithms!!!" hype?
3. If there is a difference what's the explanation?
4. Analog emulation plugins. How does one "emulate" analog waveforms in a
digital world? That sounds like a paradox to me.

Hope that's not to many questions in one mail.

Thanks for your time
Moshe