[LAU] About Algorithms

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:42:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Renato wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:53:47 +0200
> isn't it useless going way above 24 bits, since that's what in the end
> the DAC (sound card) will use? as far as I can remember, delta-sigma
> DACs don't go over 24 bit, do they?

More than 24 bit for DAC/ADC is useless, going above 24 bit for
internal processing is not. The latter ensures that rounding errors
that may be introduced by multiple math operations disappear when bit
depth is finally reduced again to 24 before entering the DAC.

The magnitude of rounding errors depends on the type and number of
operations done. I don't know the limits, but for what Fons calls
"normal audio engineering practise" (see his posting above), 32 bit is
enough.

cheers,