[LAU] About Algorithms

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Jul 18 15:01:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:10:57PM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> David Adler wrote:
>
> > Thanks for clarification. One question remains: Is it then up
> > to the Jack clients to decide whether to do internal processing
> > with single or double precision, or is 64 bit mandatory/imposed
> > by Jack?
>
> I haven't looked, but since the people coding Jack know what
> they are doing. I assume that Jack just does the right thing.
> The client has no control over whether Jack does 32 or 64 bit
> float calculations.

Apart from summing at input ports and optionally dithering
the output signals Jack doesn't do any audio calculations.
The summing is of course what we are discussing. It would
probably depend on how Jack's summing code works - if the
inner loop is over buffers then the intermediate sums are
probably full precision. If it is over samples then the
intermediate results are probably stored as floats.

--
FA