[LAU] question about normalize-audio

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jul 22 12:18:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM, shane richards <shanerich at email.com> wrote:
> After a lot of experimenting over many years, I am at a loss for how I can
> achieve the following (without lots of "painful experimentation"):
>
> * normalize the RMS volume of a group of samples

in general, "normalization" tends to refer to operations on the actual
sample values, not an average computed number like RMS.

> * max value of the loudest peak in the group doesn't exceed  xxx db

if it doesn't do that, its not really normalization.

> * no limiting/clipping/compression

normalization would never involved any of these 3 operations. if it
did, it would be called limiting or clipping or compression.

are you asking about how to do this as a user (i.e. "what tools are
available to let me do this?") or as a programmer/developer/tinkerer
(i.e "how would you go about doing this?")