[LAU] Music made with Linux: "Heavy Head"

Roberto Suárez Soto talkingxouba at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:09:15 UTC 2011

    First of all: thank you very much. You've taken a lot of time on this,
and I appreciate it :-)

2011/6/3 Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein at vait.se>

recording and mix, it starts with the sources. It's very many playing
> mistakes
> here, from bad timing and missing notes in bass to a lot of mistakes on the
> guitar playing. My guess is that you are not used to play to a metronome or
> drum machine and that the recording situation is new for you? I hear a lot
> of
> talent in the guitar playing, so I believe you are much better than what I
> hear on the tracks. Please, don't stop playing, do more practicing to

    Totally guilty on this. It's not really that I'm not used to play to a
drum machine, more like I'm quite lazy and didn't work enough on the riffs.
What you have is the first or second take of everything, and it shows.
Besides, I'm a total newbie playing bass (only use it from time to time to
add some backing, like in this song), so I've probably made all the mistakes
in the world. Twice.

    But that's the idea! I wanted to put something quickly and see what
happened if I "let it loose", so to speak. Mind you, it's not that I could
do it much better if I tried ;-) But part of the idea was not fretting too
much over it, because in my experience, if I don't do something soon with
these things, they'll remain in my hard disk forever.

    In short: no problem with your criticisms, they're very fair. Don't
hesitate in pointing them to me; I won't be annoyed as long as you're gentle
enough ;-)

    Now, regarding the mix: it's awesome! Everything sounds way more clear
and defined. I'll have to review what you've done to see if I can learn
something. Regarding what you said about echoes and reverbs, I'm a bit
puzzled: the original guitar sound only has a slight reverb, and the echo
was added with Ardour. Did I something wrong, that it was not possible to
remove it?

    This is being quite a good experience, so I expect to release all my
next music like this (did I hear a shudder from the masses?). If you liked
to clean up this mess, be prepared for more in the future :-)

    Thanks,

--
        Roberto Suárez Soto