[LAU] PITA: RME HDSPe AIO

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Mon Jun 6 14:29:30 UTC 2011

On 06/06/2011 12:39 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 11:45 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> On 06/06/2011 11:09 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm missing the information how to build alsa-tools-1.0.24.1. If it
>>> can't be done by ./configure, make, make install, than IMO there should
>>> be a README.txt or INSTALL.txt mention the needed commands.
>>>

>> Hello Ralf,
>>
>> Not sure if you're still using an Ubuntu based distro but:
>> https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=alsa&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=
>
> On my machine there is Ubuntu Studio Maverick, excepted of the mouse
> wheel issue a stable DAW, but it took days to set it up. Not the audio
> apps, the fucking Ubuntu desktop.

System - Preferences - Startup Applications and then disable everything
for your music production account. Also try disabling as many system
services as possible which you don't need. I use sysv-rc-conf for this.
And maybe my (draft) paper of the workshop I did at LAC2011 on
configuring your system might be of help:
http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2011/download/lac2011_jeremy_jongepier_workshop1.pdf

> Hm? Perhaps you could help somebody from the Ubuntu Studio users mailing
> list, to get his Firewire working. I'll ask him to subscribe to LAU.

No thanks. That somebody could try contacting me on IRC though, I'm in
#ubuntustudio.

>> Regarding your mouse, are you so attached to that good old Microsoft
>> PS/2 mouse that you never considered replacing it? And regarding PA, I'm
>> using Ubuntu on my audio installs happily without it. It should be
>> fairly simple to disable it on your Ubuntu install.
>
> It's disabled on my Ubuntu isntalls, but it wasn't neither very simple,
> nor did I get rid of ALL pulseaudio issues.
>
> Can you explain how to disable it in a simple way, or at least how to
> get rid of ALL pulseaudio issues, even if it shouldn't be that simple?

Create a file called client.conf in the .pulse directory of your home
folder with a single line in it:
autospawn = no

Then killing PA with pulseaudio -k should be enough to get rid of PA. Of
course you could disable PA alltogether by uninstalling it but out of
the top of my head this seems simpler than it actually is. This works
for Unutbu 10.04, I've never worked with 10.10 or 11.04 so not sure if
PulseAudio still looks for this specific file and respects its content.

> I need to go to the supermarket today, to buy something to eat, I could
> buy a mouse too ;), if the prices shouldn't be grotesque, if they should
> be to expensive I can order a mice.

A decent Logitech optical USB mouse should be less than €10,- Not sure
if they sell those at the supermarket though :)

> Dunno, is the Trekker mouse a Microsoft mouse?

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=trekker+wheel+mouse
Based on the search results I would assume so.

Best,

Jeremy