[LAU] Linux Audio Diagnostics Tool

allcoms allcoms at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:13:12 UTC 2011

Hi Linux Audio Land!

I've been thinking recently just how useful it would be- certainly to
Linux audio distros and (Linux (audio)) newbs, if we had an app that
could tell you what sound systems are currently active and let you
test them- both audio in and output for ALSA, JACK and Pulse at the
very least but FFADO, esound, phonon and whatever else would be great
to see included too. Even for a Linux old-timer like me its tough
remembering all the different mixers, daemons and diagnostic utils and
commands to work out where you are when you have sound trouble. If it
can't fix your problems automagically then it would be good if it
could advise the user on how to get their desired sound system
functional, if not optimised as in the case of JACK as I think that
could end up being its own app or should be integrated into qjackctl.
JACK gives more useful error messages now which should help in putting
something like this together but AFAIK there's nothing out there like
this atm.

Anyone know of an existing app like this or if work has already begun
on such a tool?