[LAU] PS: [OT] Kernel 2.6.39.1

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jun 8 11:06:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>> > How would you know what that feels like? :)
>> > Have you read Eagleman's "Sum"?
>>
>> of course :)
>
> I guess the article is very interesting for people who never had
> interest in this stuff before, but it's just touching the surface.

its an article in a general interest magazine that is fundamentally a
profile of an academic researcher. what would you expect? eagleman
publishes semi-regularly in scientific journals but at this point in
time, i haven't read any of his academic papers.

i cited it because you claimed to be sensitive to 1msec jitter. the
article mentioned that some very experienced drummers barely get down
to this level, especially for jitter. you basically claimed that your
sensitivity to jitter exceeds that of some like larry mullen jr., and
then went on to claim to claim that your timing when playing *guitar*
is as accurate as the drummers tested by eagleman & eno.

i hesitate to step right out and say bullshit (particularly given the
Eno/Mullen Jr. story mentioned in the article regarding the click
track), but i'm sort of close to it.

>As a coder you might do some experiments by simulating biologically intelligence.

I was an attendee and participant at the 2nd artificial life
conference in Sante Fe in 1992. I considered that far more interesting
and promising than "artificial intelligence". Subsequently however i
got into audio & MIDI programming which is less interesting but more
fun.