[LAU] rt kernels

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jun 9 09:01:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 22:02 -1000, david wrote:
> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > On 06/07/2011 10:27 AM, david wrote:
> >
> >> The last couple of Ubuntu releases have not included RT kernels because
> >> Ubuntu thinks no one needs one.
> >
> > more likely, the latest ubuntu releases were based on kernels newer than
> > the latest available rt tree, which creates a very complicated situation
> > for distro maintainers.
> >
> > with 2.6.39, most of the former rt patchset is now in mainline, and the
> > big kernel lock is gone for good. that means the situation should
> > improve a lot, and ease the burdon on maintainers of low-latency
> > optimized packages.
>
> Well, my experience with non-RT kernels is that on my hardware, they are
> not sufficient for real audio use. I just upgraded my desktop machine to
> 2.6.39, will see how it goes. Audio works, didn't stress it much. Of
> course, for some reason, it has decided that my 17" 1280x1024 monitor
> only runs 1024x768 at 60hz ... sigh.

I experienced the same issues regarding to the resolution and the 60 Hz
stroboscope (and a non working mouse wheel for my PS/2 mouse, slow down
Internet for PPPoE etc.) with current debianoid Linux. They drop old
hardware, even if they claim not to do.

Regarding to the monitor, I downgraded X and then I got back the wanted
1152x864 at 90Hz. The monitor can do better than 90 Hz, debianoid Linux for
my setup can't anymore, but I guess there's no difference between 90 Hz
and > 90 Hz.

I'm using xserver-xorg-video-nv 1:2.1.17-3 + depending X packages, it's
from Debian stable, while anything else should be from Debian testing.
For Debian testing there's no nv driver anymore and the nouveau doesn't
work on my machine, when using a kernel-rt.

Perhaps a downgrade will solve the issue on your machine too. 60 Hz
vertically is unhealthy.

-- Ralf