[LAU] Getting rid of PulseAudio issues, while PA isn't installed

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Fri Jun 10 10:42:43 UTC 2011

On 06/10/2011 12:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for my Debian there's no PA installed, but anyway, when I run jackd and
> try to get sound for a Youtube video, there's no sound. I need to stop
> jackd and then I can hear the sound of the video.
>
> Some time ago somebody wrote that it should be easy to get rid of PA,
> while I claimed, that it's hard to do.

Hello Ralf,

That was me.

> Yes, getting rid of PA, while it's still impossible to use non-jack
> applications is easy. Yes, for the browser there might be flash with
> jackd support, but I would like to have a good old Linux, where I don't
> need to take care about this Pulseaudio configurations.
>
> Is it possible to get rid of any PA issues?

If you want to use Flash with JACK (or set up  a system without PA) you
have several options:
- libflashsupport-jack: http://repo.or.cz/w/libflashsupport-jack.git
- alsa-jack plug-in: http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_%28plugin%29
- ALSA snd-aloop module:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge
- pulseaudio-jack module, but since you don't want to use PA this is no
option

Best,

Jeremy