[LAU] Made with GNU/Linux: 3m171a

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jun 11 16:30:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 12:31 -0300, Diego Simak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to share this song made with GNU/Linux: 3m171a
>
> http://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/3m171a
>
> It still needs a lot of work, specially on the mastering stage (no
> compression at all)

IMO everything is ok, excepted of the bass, neither by near-field
monitors, nor by headphones the bass was pithy (I don't know how to say
on English), the notes the bass plays are ok, but it might be to silent.

Why using a compressor? Perhaps you have got an imagination I do not
have, but there seems to be no need for compression. The only thing I
would avoid if possible, is to quantise that hard. I know it's often
nearly impossible to quantise softer.

Excepted of a to silent bass and to hard quantised MIDI events this song
seems to be very good. Resp. the (lets call it) HiHat should be less
loud. Here I'm unable to here if the bass is in sync with the kick. It's
grooving, so I think they are in sync. More bass!

Regards,

Ralf

PS: I was listening using a brand new sound card, my setup isn't tuned
yet, what I hear at the moment might be completely discoloured.