[LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 10:46:55 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 6/12/11, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
> Date: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 6:15 AM
> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 11:59 +0200,
> Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> > On 06/12/2011 11:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > What CPU frequency scaling? Is it set to
> performance? There's a new
> > > nuisance for GNOME desktops on Ubuntu and Debian,
> they ignore the
> > > kernel's default CPU frequency scaling, they
> switch from 'performance'
> > > to 'ondemand' for GNOME sessions.
> >
> > apt-file search ondemand | grep init.d
> > initscripts: /etc/init.d/ondemand
> >
> > So at least on Ubuntu the ondemand init script is part
> of the
> > initscripts package and has nothing to do with Gnome.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Jeremy
>

> Thank you :)
>
> On Debian it's
>
> $ cat /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
> #!/bin/sh
> [snip]
> GOVERNOR="ondemand"
> [snip]

from the same script of debian:

<snip>
if [ -f /etc/default/cpufrequtils ] ; then
        . /etc/default/cpufrequtils
fi

# if not enabled then exit gracefully
[ "$ENABLE" = "true" ] || exit 0

if [ -n "$MAX_SPEED" ] && [ $MAX_SPEED != "0" ] ; then
        CPUFREQ_OPTIONS="$CPUFREQ_OPTIONS --max $MAX_SPEED"
fi

if [ -n "$MIN_SPEED" ] && [ $MIN_SPEED != "0" ] ; then
        CPUFREQ_OPTIONS="$CPUFREQ_OPTIONS --min $MIN_SPEED"
fi

if [ -n "$GOVERNOR" ] ; then
        CPUFREQ_OPTIONS="$CPUFREQ_OPTIONS --governor $GOVERNOR"
fi
</snip>

The debian way is to have a default config in the directory /etc/default, which cpufrequtils is sourcing if it exists (see script snippet above). So either you make one if you don't have one or get informed before calling such config scheme "idiocy". I don't want to be too hard in my critics but you seem to be a little too noisy too fast. Make sure you RTFM before posting such judgemental comments on distros.

J.