[LAU] Jack vs. Alsa, PianoTeq demo: Alsa wins!

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Jun 13 09:54:08 UTC 2011

On 06/13/2011 09:06 AM, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

[SNIP]
>> would it be so hard to just run that very simple command i asked
>> about? you have absolutely no guarantee that the parameters presented
>> by Pianoteq translate directly into ALSA driver parameters, though
>> they probably do. i gave you a very, very simple way to make sure of
>> this but we still seem to be arguing about whether to run it or not.
>>
> I'm kind of pressed for time with several projects at the moment. Sorry I
> didn't do this earlier. When I get the chance, I'll reinstall the older
> version of jack1 and run the tests again with the output of that command.

You don't need to [re]install jack1.

Paul is interested in the ALSA settings when running PianoTeq with ALSA
- not JACK. Fire-up PT with ALSA and run

    cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

(Or 'card1' depending on the interface you're using or just all:
  for file in /proc/asound/card*/pcm*/sub*/hw_params; do \
  echo "---- $file"; cat $file; done
)

And the jackd parameters (no difference between jack1/2). e.g.
  '-p 1024 -n 2 -r 48000'
(You can get those from qjackctl setup or (unless you use jack2+dbus)
with 'ps axw | grep jackd')

Thanks,
robin