[LAU] A3 video prev: syncing partially out of sync video and audio in existing files

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:04:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM, drew Roberts wrote:

>>> And with their budgets, they do not have the resources to fund a Free
>>> option to get out from under vendor lock in? Do they benefit from
>>> being locked in somehow? Are they not locked in? Do they control their
>>> vendors?
>>
>> Did you intend to send this offlist? :)
>
> Not at all.

Well, I already blogged recently about that regarding graphics tools.
Let me provide you a really short summary.

1. A commercial company is about revenue. Canonical does the most
successful Linux distribution and still doesn't have revenue per se.
What business model would justify spending several millions of dollars
a year to work on an NLE fulltime?

2. Integrating into existing open source projects is often difficult.
Yes, e.g. Blender was started by Ton who's worked for himself all his
life, isn't easily scared by paperwork, knows how to negotiate etc.
But most existing projects are run by people who work on them in their
spare time. And negotiating with them can be complicated. For
instance, two of the major graphics apps teams, GIMP's and Inkscape's,
have very diverse views on paid development.

If you really look closer at aforementioned Canonical, you might
discover that they actually hired several graphics apps developers.
Three of Canonical employees were Inkscape developers, and another one
was the guy who started Simple Scan (scanning app for GNOME). All four
were eventually sucked into fixing stuff and solving infrastracture
issues. None of them actually works on their initial projects anymore.
They take care about things that bring direct revenue.

Yes, there are cases such as GNOME Color Manager and colord where
principle developer employed by Red Hat is actually paid by the
company to work on that (not initially, only since recently), because
Red Hat has two major animation studios as clients, but, again, this
is the case where infrastructure had to be fixed (and I mean _really_
fixed). The guy doesn't work on production software per se, becuase
production software is not part of existing pipelines at those
studios. So we are back to square one.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org